Moving to Spain After Brexit

Moving to Spain after Brexit may prove a challenge if you’re not sure what has changed. From January 1st, 2021, UK nationals moving to Spain are considered third-country nationals. As such, the general immigration scheme now applies to them. This will remain the case unless the  UK and EU negotiate a mobility scheme in the future.

The good news: moving to Spain after Brexit is still possible. However, the process has changed, and now more than ever, UK nationals will require advice and assistance in making their dream move a reality. At Relocation Services Valencia, we are here to help you at all points of the moving process. 

Those who resided in Spain before January 1st 2021, read the advice from the UK Government for obtaining residency, as you may still be able to do so via the two-step process that they outline.

moving to spain after brexit

Moving to Spain as a Third-Country National

As of now, the UK and EU have not negotiated a distinct mobility scheme. UK nationals will have to follow the same process as other third-country nationals when moving to Spain. Read on for an overview of this process, where we will advise you how to prepare.

Please note, the process depends on numerous factors. For example, whether you wish to work in Spain, the type of work you will engage in and how much money you invest in a property. Therefore, this blog will provide a general overview alongside links to more detailed information for specific instances. Furthermore, if you require personalised advice, contact us as soon as possible.

Do I Need a Visa to Come to Spain?

UK nationals visiting Spain for under three months do not require a visa. However, if you will be in the country for longer than 90 days in 180 days, a visa is required. It is also worth noting that you are not permitted to work or stay longer than the agreed 90 days if you are in Spain without a visa.

Types of Visas

As you know, the type of visa you need will depend on various factors, like any economic activity you wish to engage in and the length of your stay. To find information specific to your circumstance, check the information offered on Spain’s Immigration Portal. Alternatively, read on for an overview of the most common visas.

The Non-Lucrative Visa

Non-lucrative visas are set to become one of the most popular visas for UK nationals moving to Spain. This is because many British expats in Spain are retirees, and aren’t looking to engage in economic activity. Therefore, this visa grants you the right to reside (but not to work) in Spain.

To obtain this visa, you will need:

  • A valid passport with at least a year left.
  • To demonstrate a monthly income of €2151 plus €538 per dependent.
  • A private health insurance policy.
  • Your medical certificate from your country of origin.
  • A police check certificate from any country you have resided in the past five years.

The Golden Visa

The Golden Visa can be obtained by anyone able to invest at least €500,000 in property, or €2 million in Government bonds or shares in Spain. Once you have invested, you can apply for this visa and will receive it.

This visa grants you the ability to live in Spain all-year-around (although this isn’t a requirement), and engage in economic activity in Spain. Therefore, we always recommend this visa if you have the means to obtain it. To find out more about the process, check out Schengen Visa Info.

Working Visas

There are various types of work visas that you can obtain to reside and work in Spain. These include Seasonal Work Visas, Long-Term Work Visas and Au Pair Visas. The requirements vary notably for each visa, and depending on whether you will work as an employee or as an autónomo. As such, we advise that you check Spain’s Immigration Portal to find out precisely what you will need.

The Entrepreneur Visas

There are also various types of entrepreneur visas that you can obtain. These include:

  • Visa for Entrepreneurs and Business Activities – designed for investors with a sound business plan, which is in Spain’s economic interest. This visa requires substantial capital investment.
  • Visa for Highly Skilled Professionals – for highly skilled workers who have received higher education and have a job offer in Spain with a salary that is 50% higher than the national average.
  • Visa for Intra-company transfer – for managers in companies outside of Spain, who are to be transferred to the company’s office in Spain. 
  • The Visa for Family Members – for family members of someone who has an aforementioned entrepreneur visa.


As with the various types of working visas, the requirements and processes vary for each type. Therefore, it is worth checking the Immigration Portal for information specific to you.

You May Also Need a TIE

Should you plan to stay in Spain for longer than six months, you must also apply for a TIE (Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero) biometric residency card within one month of your arrival in Spain. You will need to book an appointment at your local police station and bring:

  • A valid passport & photocopy.
  • Three passport-style photographs.
  • Proof of address.
  • Proof of financial resources for those not working.
  • Health insurance policy.
  • Proof of the administration fee payment.

Do You Need Personalised Help?

At Relocation Services Valencia, we understand that this is a very uncertain and confusing time. That is why we are here to help you with all of your queries and help you with moving to Spain after Brexit.

Your dream of living in Valencia is still within reach. Contact us to get started.

Get in Touch

By submitting this form, you confirm that you agree to our website terms of use, to our privacy policy and consent to cookies being stored on your computer.
error: Content is protected !!